Duke Energy - Helping customers in these challenging times
Duke Energy Extended Payment Arrangements
- Duke Energy Ohio is moving closer to resuming normal business operations, and continues working with customers who are experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio is considering Duke Energy’s request to resume regular credit practices with the August billing period, keeping disconnections for nonpayment and late payment fees suspended until September. The company will continue to waive fees for credit card and walk-in payments for residential customers through October.
- Well before Duke Energy began working toward resuming its normal operations, the company had been proactively working with residential and business customers who were accumulating past-due balances by offering extended payment arrangements. This proactive outreach was intended to help prevent them from amassing debt amounts that may be difficult from which to recover. Anyone who may still require additional time after our normal policies are reinstated can work with us to either establish a new installment plan, or adjust an existing plan to account for their current circumstance.
- Per these links, residential customers and small or medium businesses customers facing economic hardship can request an extended payment arrangement online and select an option that best suits their needs. They will enter their Duke Energy account number or telephone number to begin the process. Customers with more complex needs can speak with a customer care representative at 800-544-6900. (Business customers should call 800.774.1202.) Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Since March the Duke Energy Foundation has contributed funding to local Ohio assistance agencies in response to the pandemic. Those dollars, coupled with substantial federal funding to programs like CARES act and LIHEAP can help qualifying customers with payment toward outstanding energy bills and/or other essential needs. Customers can find more detail by visiting the Customer Assistance page at dukeenergyupdates.com or through 211.org.
- The Duke Energy mobile app is another helpful resource available that allows customers to easily view and manage their account and billing and learn about money saving products and services.
Unfortunately, Duke Energy has seen a rise in fraudulent activity as scammers look to take advantage of the changes and uncertainty all around us. It’s good to remind both residential and business customers that Duke Energy will never ask for personal information over the phone nor demand payment via, pre-paid debit cards, money orders or gift cards.
Recently we’ve seen a new tactic, in which the caller promises a refund check from Duke Energy. If customers are unsure if a call or in-person visit is legitimate, they should hang up or decline service and contact Duke Energy’s customer care center at 800.544.6900.
View flyer for more information.